Skip to main content

L2 travel to abroad when L1 under extension and EAD status

Charlotte, NC |

My spouse(L1-B) and I(L2) have visas that are expired, L1 extension was applied and file number received, L2 extension was not filed as I have I-94 valid until 2014. If I(L2) travel abroad when L1 extension is still under process, will I be able to travel back to USA?

I have filed extension for my EAD(expired on same date as Visa). Does this application hold good if I travel abroad for more than 3months?

Attorney Answers 3


You will need a valid unexpired visa and passport to return to the US. You may obtain the visa at the US consulate abroad by present evidence of the approved L- extension, with other supporting documentation


Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Only after obtaining a new L-2 visa stamp in your passport.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Wait until approved then consulate process

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics