L1B to L2 and then L2 to H1B will the H1B clock since the COS from L2 to L1B or will it start from her initial L1B to L2

Asked 10 months ago - Detroit, MI

My wife was on her L1B visa in US from 2009 till Aug 2012, then she changed her status from L1 to L2 from sep 2012 to oct-2013 and changed L2 to H1B since nov 2013 . How long can she stay in H1B visa in US?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Marc Anthony Topoleski


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Both the time your wife spent in L-1B status (2009 to Aug 2012) and H-1B status (Nov 2013 to present) will count towards her 6 year maximum period of H-1B eligibility.

    Still have more questions? We would love to speak with you! Contact Ellis Porter at 248-519-9900 for specific... more
  2. Ajay Kumar Arora

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Topoleski. The time spent in L1B status is combined with time spent in H1B status for a maximum of 6 years aggregate. To increase H1B status beyond 6 years, the employer should timely file a PERM application.

Related Topics

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

H1B speciality occupation visa

If you have special skills and the right experience, you might be eligible for a H-1B visa if there is a shortage of qualified workers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,380 answers this week

3,226 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,380 answers this week

3,226 attorneys answering