L1B stay in US

Asked over 1 year ago - Portland, ME

I was given a LIb visa for 3 yrs. After 3 yrs my LIB was renewed for 3 yrs. Out of these 6 yrs I have stayed less than 5 yrs. I am being told bymy HR that US embassy at times gives fresh Visa rather than extending old one. So technically they are saying my first 3 yrs will not be counted in 5 yrs

1. Aleksandra Michailov

Answered . You are allowed to stay only 5 years total in L-1B status in the U.S. - so after the first 3 years, you would be able to extend only for 2 more years. Perhaps you would qualify (or had applied) for an L-1A, which would give you additional 2 years. Otherwise, the clock will restart after spending 1 year abroad.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . The maximum on L-1B is five years. That only gets reset after spending at least one year outside the US.