L1B RFE

Asked over 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

My L1B is expiring on sep 20th 2013. I filed my extension and it has landed in RFE. While my company will prepare the rfe response and file what if i get my rejection notice before sep 20th 2013. My wife is on H1 can i immediately file H4 with COS. Do you need valid I94 to apply for COS or in case the rfe response approval exceeds sep 20th 2013 then i believe i should leave immd. So pls suggest if i should wait for L1B extension to apply for H4 or not

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . To change a nonimmigrant status you must be in a valid nonimmigrant status on the day you file for the change.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . My wife is on H1 can i immediately file H4 with COS.
    You can try. It will be up to USCIS whether to grant it.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . Although you can clearly leave the US and apply for an H-4 ... filing a COS after a L extension denial probably won't be approved ... due to you not having valid L status on the day of your application.

But, I could be wrong ... if you filed fast (withing the 'hidden' 10 day grace period of an L ending it might work ... quite a bit would depend on why the extension was denied and the exact language of the denial.