L1B extension with an H1B approval

Hartford, CT |

I am on L1B expiring in July 2013. My company has applied for my H1B which is selected in lottery but not approved yet. H1B would start only from Oct 2013 hence my company is planning to apply for my L1B extension in June 2013.

A) Assuming my L1B is approved, I can continue to stay in US after July 2013. Will my status change after October to H1B automatically? or do I have to get stamping done?

B) I learnt that your status is the last action taken by USCIS. In this case how will I know what was the last action, L1B extension or H1 approval?

C) If I have to switch after October 2013 to another employer on H1B, will I have to go out of US and come back with an H1 stamp assuming my L1B is extended and I dont leave USA.

1. Your questions makes a lot of sense. What is the attorney for the employer saying?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

2. A) Assuming my L1B is approved, I can continue to stay in US after July 2013. Will my status change after October to H1B automatically? or do I have to get stamping done?
    Depends on what USCIS' decision is.

From the date the action is taken by USCIS.

Depends on what happens to the two pending applications.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. A. It depends. Generally the last approved governs. So if you have pending H1 and L1. If H1 gets approved, later the L1 gets approved, the L1 is your current visa. If you are sure you want the H1 to start, I suggest filing the L1 visa extension till an end date of October 2013 so there is no confusion.

B. see #A.

C. If you are on a L1 on October, then decide to file a H1 it will be considered a new H1 since you never joined the first employer on a H1.

Please keep in mind that this is a general opinion, not legal advice. I recommend you decide what visa status you want to be on, then discuss it with a good attorney so you get what you want. Attorneys are very good at calculating processing times and can time petitions at the time of filing so you end up with the right status.

Good luck!

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.ImmigrationDesk.com. Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only. It is not to be construed as legal advice. We promise to zealously represent you - but as with any legal matter, we cannot predict the approval of your case based on our past successes. Each case is different. If you are in a similar situation, we would recommend that you contact us to discuss your case.