L1 to L2 visa change while working for same employer ( with whom i got L1 )

New York, NY |

Currently I am on L1 Visa with Employer A. My wife is also on L1 visa with Employer B.
My Visa is expiring in 2014 Dec , Can I switch from L1 to L2 visa ? and continue working with my employer ?
Can it be done with in USA ?
will it cause any trouble ?

1. Yes you can but you will also need to file for a work authorization ("EAD") form I-765 along with your application for change of status from L-1 to L-2. You want to make sure that your wife's employment is very secure and that she has a good chance for renewal and opportunity to have her employer file for a green card because of the cap limit with L-1s (7 years for managers). Note that it will take several months to get a response so you might want to move forward with this soon. Yes you can file in the US.

2. Yes, you can do so. You will also need to apply for an EAD.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. Yes you can once you have the EAD. It is an unintended consequence of the EAD incident to L2.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

4. Your right to work in this scenario stems from a) Validity of your L-1 b) EAD pursuant to your L-2. So make sure you have an EAD approved, by the time your L-1 expires.