L1 to H1B COS - Dilemma on current status and H1B approval despite cancellation request

Asked 10 months ago - Groton, CT

I am working with Company A since 2009 on L1A in US. In April 2013, Company B filed for H1B COS. In Sept 13, however, Company A decided to file EB1 GC and hence, I had requested Company B to cancel my H1B COS processing. Company B sent COS cancellation request on 28th Sept to USCIS. I had to go back to India to get my family here on L2 status on 30th Sept and I returned on 3rd Oct. I entered US on L1 VISA successfully with I94 valid till 2016. However, on 3rd Oct itself, my H1B COS got approved despite cancellation request. I am in dilemma as to what is my current status and what should I do to remain in L1 status. I've a copy of cancellation request sent by Company B to USCIS. Please advise asap. My L1 VISA is valid till 31st Oct'13 only.

1. Dana Roxana Bucin

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . I would get a lawyer involved to try to get the situation clarified with USCIS. If you cannot get any confirmation from USCIS that your COS was withdrawn before it was approved, I would simply deal with it at the EB-1 green card stage, by submitting proof that a withdrawal was submitted before approval and that you in fact have a valid L-1 I-94. There may be other scenarios that your attorney (or Company A's attorney) might help you with. For best results, don't try to do this yourself.

2. Huiyue Qiu

1

Answered . What can I say, Company B thought it did all it can to cancel the H1B change of status but USCIS turned a deaf ear. Now you are stuck. Calling USCIS' Customer Service would be the first step. American Immigration Lawyer's Association has an internal liaison channel with USCIS that is designed to defuse situation like this.

3. Harry Asatrian

Pro

1

Answered . Where is the company's attorney in all this ?