L1 to H1 when to file ?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

Hi , I'm currently on 1 visa and wish to convert it to 1 for better opportunities . I've seen the existing questionnaire on this conversion , but still have few questions left . I'd appreciate any guidance I can get . Following are my doubts : - What is the best time to approach an employer who can sponsor 1 ? 1 petitions start from 1st April every year . Should employer be approached prior to that ? - I heard that the 1 job can start only after October . So , are companies really willing to wait for 6 months to get candidate ? - When do you inform about your current 1 company ? Thanks .

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Visas in the US always begin with a letter, and never with a number. If you are referring to H-1Bs, the earliest that they can be filed is April 1. All visas will be used up long before October.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . One of the reasons employers file in April for start date of Oct 1 is because there are limited number of H-1B visas for each fiscal year and so if they don't line up early, the numbers get exhausted. If you rather work in H-1B status, you will look for a sponsoring company and employment accordingly.

3. Akanksha Kalra

Answered . Depends upon the employer - whether they are willing to wait for six months to hire you. You would need a job offer from a prospective employer who may be willing to file an H-1B petition on your behalf on/after April 1st. As long as you maintain your current L-1 status, you can continue to work for your current employer.