L1 to H1 when to file ?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

Hi , I'm currently on 1 visa and wish to convert it to 1 for better opportunities . I've seen the existing questionnaire on this conversion , but still have few questions left . I'd appreciate any guidance I can get . Following are my doubts : - What is the best time to approach an employer who can sponsor 1 ? 1 petitions start from 1st April every year . Should employer be approached prior to that ? - I heard that the 1 job can start only after October . So , are companies really willing to wait for 6 months to get candidate ? - When do you inform about your current 1 company ? Thanks .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Visas in the US always begin with a letter, and never with a number. If you are referring to H-1Bs, the earliest that they can be filed is April 1. All visas will be used up long before October.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . One of the reasons employers file in April for start date of Oct 1 is because there are limited number of H-1B visas for each fiscal year and so if they don't line up early, the numbers get exhausted. If you rather work in H-1B status, you will look for a sponsoring company and employment accordingly.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  3. Akanksha Kalra

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Depends upon the employer - whether they are willing to wait for six months to hire you. You would need a job offer from a prospective employer who may be willing to file an H-1B petition on your behalf on/after April 1st. As long as you maintain your current L-1 status, you can continue to work for your current employer.

    Akanksha Kalra, Attorney at Law: 215-542-4905 or ak@akaimmigration.com Disclaimer: The information provided here... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,555 answers this week

3,049 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,555 answers this week

3,049 attorneys answering