L1/L2 to H1 Transfer

Asked over 3 years ago - Bellevue, WA

Hi, My husband was on L1 and i am working on L2(EAD) so far. My husband has applied for H1 last year and he got approval notice on this Feb 15th valid from 2/2/2011 to 2013. So we both have resigned in our companies. Is there a way we can continue our jobs for some time on L1/L2?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you were granted a change of status from L to H-1B, the answer is that you would have to apply for change back again to L status.

  2. Stuart Jonas Reich


    Contributor Level 19
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Technically, with a change of status you are on the H-1B from the 2/15 date.

    BUT: under the AC21 anti-benching provisions, the new employer doesn't need to have your husband on payroll until 60 days after status was changed here. This really doesn't mean that your L-1/L-2 with EAD are still valid, only that you don't need to join the new H-1B employer right away.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,019 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,019 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering