L1-B Expires soon. Chance of filing L1-A

Asked almost 2 years ago - Woodland Hills, CA

My L1-B is getting Maxed out soon (March 2013). Assuming that my profile meets the L1-A criteria, how soon can I file my L1-A?

Can I go outside of US and file for a new L1-A , then stay for 2 more years?
or
Do I need to go out of the country for a whole year and come back with a new L1-A for a 7 year term?

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Your employer should file before you I-94 expires.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case.

2. Christian Schmidt

Answered . Your employer can file a visa petition to extend and change your status to L-1A if you have had at least six months managerial responsibilities and will continue to work in such capacity. The petition can be filed up to 6 months prior to the expiration of your current I-94. If you do not qualify for L-1A status in order to continue working for two more years, you will have to leave the US for one year in order to be eligible for a new L term.

3. Aleksandra Michailov

Answered . I agree with my colleague. And I would consider filing the extension petition rather soon, since your max date is upcoming.