Skip to main content

KS state estate law, beneficiairies to life insurance funds

Wichita, KS |

There is a elderly lady that just passed away yesterday she has a couple of insurance policy's that are in her deceased son's name, she does having living adult children and also her husband is deceased as well. They have no money without these policy's to have the fuenral. Does this money (insurance) go to the widow of the deceased son>also the home she lived in is in her deceased son's name as well, he died 5 months to the day of her death.

Attorney Answers 2


This insurance part of your question is too hard for anyone other than a Kansas attorney (assuming that your state, Kansas, was also the state of residence of the deceased lady at the time of her death and is also the state whose law is applicable to the insurance policy). The difficulty exists because states have different laws on that issue, and it is not an easy lookup. Depending on Kansas law, the rightful heir to the insurance proceeds might be either the heirs of the deceased son or the estate of the deceased policy holder.

The house is different. The house goes to the heirs of the deceased son.

This answer must not be relied on as legal advice for the reasons posted here: . And I am not your attorney.


Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


In Kansas, insurance proceeds payable to a beneficiary who has died before the death of the insured are payable to the insured's estate. This requires the opening of a probate estate, and the disposition of the proceeds will be governed by the insured's will, if any. You must hire an attorney to open a probate estate in Kansas.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics