Knee replacement nightmare

Asked about 1 year ago - 02148

My wife had TKR June 10, 2010 in MA, while in rehab it buckled and she fell, the xray showed an intact knee, taking her home the knee buckled again causing her to fall, taken to hospital she needed surgery to repair a ruptured tendon and quads. The doctor ordered an ultrasound on the damaged knee which was done 2 days before the 2nd surgery. The tech kept rubbing the ultra sound gel from the good knee to the knee that had steri strips due to the bleeding that had taken place due to the fall, I asked the tech if that could cause an infection she read the gel bottle and said "it says non toxic" yes the knee did get infected and two more surgeries followed, my wife was in a knee immobilize for over 10 months and she still may need a fifth operation, can ultrasound gel cause an infection?

The date was JUNE 2012 NOT JUNE 2010

1. Brian P Finnerty

Pro

8

Answered . I'm sorry to hear of your wife's troubles. Ultrasound gel has been associated with infections, but is still widely used. Assuming the gel caused the infections, the question is whether any provider deviated from accepted medical practice resulting in the unnecessary infection(s). Another question is whether the statute of limitations has expired or may soon expire. A malpractice attorney will ask you the necessary questions and answer yours. I can't determine from your posting when the second surgery took place, but you should speak with an attorney without further delay due to a possible statute of limitations issue. Malpractice cases are also very time-intensive, so the sooner the better.
    A defective product claim against the gel manufacturer is another possibility, but that's another legal can of worms!
    I would be happy to discuss your wife's potential claim(s) and explain how such claim(s) proceed.
    Best of luck to her.

2. Emma A. Kremer

6

Answered . I'm sorry that your wife has been having health issues. As with most if not all medical malpractice cases, you will probably need a medical expert to evaluate what the cause or causes of her ailments may be. Unfortunately I am just a lawyer and don't know the answer to your question but I would highly recommend consulting an attorney who specializes in such cases. Most offer free consultations and contingency fee arrangements. Best of luck to you and your wife.

3. David Ian Schoen

Pro

6

Answered . Its possible. Consult with a local medical malpractice attorney.

Pro

7

Answered . Luckily, Brian has offered to investigate. Good luck.

5. Josh P Tolin

5

Answered . Infections are well known side effects of most surgeries. The prompt failure to diagnose the infection may be malpractice. There are other issue that definitely should be investigated as to why all of the surgeries. You really need to see someone as soon as you can to investigate, get your records, and imaging studies. Good luck to you.

6. Gilbert Richard Hoy Jr

Pro

3

Answered . Feel free to call to discuss. 617-787-3700

7. Tatiana Kadetskaya

4

Answered . Looks like Finnerty will discuss it with you.