Kmart may send me a Civil Demand form. What is the best course of action?

El Paso, TX |
Filed under: Shoplifting

I was caught shoplifting 10 items at Kmart that had a cumulative value of about 40$. Only one of the previously mentioned items was damaged. It had a value of about 4$. The police were not involved and I was let go within a few minutes with no charges. I did however sign a paper that stated that I was in fact guilty, and I gave the LP my home address and telephone number. I was handed a paper that states that I may be receiving a letter from Palmer, Reifler and Associates regarding Civil Demand restitution payment.

How much should I expect to pay, or should I even pay at all?

I advise most clients to ignore such letters. This appears to be the overwhelming practice of most attorneys.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.

I typically advise clients to ignore these letters. Attorneys appear to be overwhelmingly in agreement on this approach.

Shoplifting topics