Kentucky statue of limitations on debt collection

Asked over 2 years ago - Williamsburg, KY

I have recently been contacted by Morgan and Pottinger of Louisville,Ky. about an outstanding credit card bill.I made arrangements to pay the debt. While,I was making payments that went forward put a lien on my property which that said they would not do ,if I paid them.I have never been late on a payment now,they are threatening to garnish my wages. What rights do I have? The was 7 years old before they contacted me.Is there a statue of limitations? I have a contract with them.I have not broken my contract they are paid monthly on time. I even send my payment registered mail.Can I sue them?

1. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . By making payments on the debt, you restarted the statute of limitations. What's missing here is the judgment. If they got a judgment against you, you can check its validity (for example, were you served with the lawsuit papers?)/ If there is a judgment and it is valid, then they can collect against you.

There are facts missing from this scenario to give a definitive answer.

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . By acknowledging the debt and making payments you may have restarted the clock on the statute of limitatons. You should talk to a local attorney about reopening the default judgment.

When you find out that a judgment has been entered against you, normally by discovering that your wages are being garnished or the bank account has been frozen, you still have a couple of options.

In most States the Courts allow you to reopen and challenge a “default judgment”. Most States will allow a year to accomplish this. If you did not get the paperwork for the lawsuit, or you got the paperwork but never did anything, then the judgment was “entered” due to your default to file an Answer.

You have to bring a motion in the Court where the judgment is filed. That motion normally has to include a defense to the charges and a copy of your proposed Answer.

You should definitely get a local lawyer to help you with this, or seek the assistance of a Bankruptcy attorney to get rid of the liability. If you can’t afford a lawyer and you are being sued check out my website for a free form Answer.

Good Luck!

REQUEST: Please give this answer a "thumbs up"(below) if you find it valuable.

3. Nicholas I Fuerst

Answered . As long as you pay inaccordence with your written agreement no issues really. Soun ds like they sued you along the way, have a Judgment and have recorded it to protect themselves in case you do not pay.