Keeping My Green Card and preserve residency for Naturalizaion

Atlanta, GA |

I am an LPR, I received a Special Immigration Visa (SIV) for working for US Gov in Iraq and admitted to the US on 3/3/2010. I left the US for the first time after that on August 2012 to Iraq, then kept going back and forth every 5 months staying only few weeks in the US (never been out of the US continuously more than 5 months). I haven't apply for re-entry permit yet, been warned twice upon entering the US. Now I am in Iraq for 3 months since my last US visit. I didn't tell the officers that I am working at Iraq, but came up with excuses like family needed me and father had health issues. they could get many conflicting info from me! Now my questions:

1) how to keep my Green Card Valid?
2) how can I preserve residence for naturalization.
It would be great to help me out with some answers

1.How to keep the card
a. Stop lying to government officials
b. Get a re-entry permit
c. File an N-470, if appropriate.

2. N-470

Additional comment ... hire an attorney.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Dear Sir, but it is too late to get re-entry permit? since I got warned twice already? i am afraid they take my green Card when I get into the airport :(

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Hire an attorney to help you.

Get a re-entry permit. That will allow you to stay out the US for more than 6 months. File an N-470 to preserve eligibility for naturalization. If you do things right, you should be fine considering you're working for the US government.

I am not working for the us gov anymore, I got my immigration visa because I did work for USACE in Iraq. Now I work for a forgin firm in Iraq, but didn't tell the officers that because I was afraid I will loose the 28 months I lived in the US for future naturalization purposes. stupid idea I know!

You did not say what company you were working for in Iraq. If you are working for the U.S. government, you may be eligible to file a case to preserve that time for residency purposes. If not, you've got some tough decisions to make about whether you want to keep your green card. Consult an attorney. Good luck!

Also see the link below on re-entry permits.