Keeping My Green Card and preserve residency for Naturalizaion

Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I am an LPR, I received a Special Immigration Visa (SIV) for working for US Gov in Iraq and admitted to the US on 3/3/2010. I left the US for the first time after that on August 2012 to Iraq, then kept going back and forth every 5 months staying only few weeks in the US (never been out of the US continuously more than 5 months). I haven't apply for re-entry permit yet, been warned twice upon entering the US. Now I am in Iraq for 3 months since my last US visit. I didn't tell the officers that I am working at Iraq, but came up with excuses like family needed me and father had health issues. they could get many conflicting info from me! Now my questions:

1) how to keep my Green Card Valid?
2) how can I preserve residence for naturalization.
It would be great to help me out with some answers

1. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . 1.How to keep the card
    a. Stop lying to government officials
    b. Get a re-entry permit
    c. File an N-470, if appropriate.

2. N-470

Additional comment ... hire an attorney.

2. Jay Ignacio Nunez

2

Answered . Get a re-entry permit. That will allow you to stay out the US for more than 6 months. File an N-470 to preserve eligibility for naturalization. If you do things right, you should be fine considering you're working for the US government.

3. Wendy Renee Whitt

1

Answered . You did not say what company you were working for in Iraq. If you are working for the U.S. government, you may be eligible to file a case to preserve that time for residency purposes. If not, you've got some tough decisions to make about whether you want to keep your green card. Consult an attorney. Good luck!

Also see the link below on re-entry permits.