Keeping My Green Card and preserve residency for Naturalizaion

Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I am an LPR, I received a Special Immigration Visa (SIV) for working for US Gov in Iraq and admitted to the US on 3/3/2010. I left the US for the first time after that on August 2012 to Iraq, then kept going back and forth every 5 months staying only few weeks in the US (never been out of the US continuously more than 5 months). I haven't apply for re-entry permit yet, been warned twice upon entering the US. Now I am in Iraq for 3 months since my last US visit. I didn't tell the officers that I am working at Iraq, but came up with excuses like family needed me and father had health issues. they could get many conflicting info from me! Now my questions:

1) how to keep my Green Card Valid?
2) how can I preserve residence for naturalization.
It would be great to help me out with some answers

Attorney answers (3)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1.How to keep the card
    a. Stop lying to government officials
    b. Get a re-entry permit
    c. File an N-470, if appropriate.

    2. N-470

    Additional comment ... hire an attorney.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Jay Ignacio Nunez

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get a re-entry permit. That will allow you to stay out the US for more than 6 months. File an N-470 to preserve eligibility for naturalization. If you do things right, you should be fine considering you're working for the US government.

  3. Wendy Renee Whitt

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You did not say what company you were working for in Iraq. If you are working for the U.S. government, you may be eligible to file a case to preserve that time for residency purposes. If not, you've got some tough decisions to make about whether you want to keep your green card. Consult an attorney. Good luck!

    Also see the link below on re-entry permits.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,768 answers this week

3,114 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,768 answers this week

3,114 attorneys answering