Keeping finances separate during divorce process

Asked over 1 year ago - Vineland, NJ

My husband left me back in july. He has no plans to move back in with me so im going to file for divorce. He letft me with no car no phone and an apartment i can barely afford. I was on unemployment at the time but now im back to wprk 50-60 hours a week and making twice asmuch as i was on unemployment. He has been working since march but hasntt given me any money at all. I know there is no legal separation in NJ. So is there a separate file or paper i can file to keep our incomes separate until the divorce is finalized? We dont have any assets together. And want to file for an uncontested divorce to have our marriage disolved quickly.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John B. D'Alessandro

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . There is no specific form you need to complete in order to keep your incomes separate when filing your Complaint for divorce. However you may be entitled to spousal support depending upon your needs and other factors. I would suggest you consult with an attorney to discuss this so you can better understand what you may be entitled to. Good Luck.

    IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-... more
  2. Bari Zell Weinberger


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Once the divorce process begins, you should file a pendente lite motion for spousal support. Pendente lite motions cover the issues that arise during the divorce itself. They are not final. Under the law, the status quo is to continue during the divorce as if you were still married. This prevents one spouse from vacuuming all of the bank accounts and disappearing. Typically, we file the divorce complaint along with a pendente lite motion at the same time. I also suggest speaking with an attorney as soon as possible.

    To learn more about spousal support (alimony), please see the below article:

    The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general... more
  3. Ronald Glenn Lieberman


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You need to file for support from him. There is no way to keep assets separate other than as you are doing now.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,288 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,288 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering