Keeping finances separate during divorce process

Asked over 1 year ago - Vineland, NJ

My husband left me back in july. He has no plans to move back in with me so im going to file for divorce. He letft me with no car no phone and an apartment i can barely afford. I was on unemployment at the time but now im back to wprk 50-60 hours a week and making twice asmuch as i was on unemployment. He has been working since march but hasntt given me any money at all. I know there is no legal separation in NJ. So is there a separate file or paper i can file to keep our incomes separate until the divorce is finalized? We dont have any assets together. And want to file for an uncontested divorce to have our marriage disolved quickly.

1. John B. D'Alessandro

Answered . There is no specific form you need to complete in order to keep your incomes separate when filing your Complaint for divorce. However you may be entitled to spousal support depending upon your needs and other factors. I would suggest you consult with an attorney to discuss this so you can better understand what you may be entitled to. Good Luck.

2. Bari Zell Weinberger

Pro

Answered . Once the divorce process begins, you should file a pendente lite motion for spousal support. Pendente lite motions cover the issues that arise during the divorce itself. They are not final. Under the law, the status quo is to continue during the divorce as if you were still married. This prevents one spouse from vacuuming all of the bank accounts and disappearing. Typically, we file the divorce complaint along with a pendente lite motion at the same time. I also suggest speaking with an attorney as soon as possible.

To learn more about spousal support (alimony), please see the below article:
    http://www.weinbergerlawgroup.com/divorce-legal...

3. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . You need to file for support from him. There is no way to keep assets separate other than as you are doing now.