Keeping finances separate during divorce process

Vineland, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce

My husband left me back in july. He has no plans to move back in with me so im going to file for divorce. He letft me with no car no phone and an apartment i can barely afford. I was on unemployment at the time but now im back to wprk 50-60 hours a week and making twice asmuch as i was on unemployment. He has been working since march but hasntt given me any money at all. I know there is no legal separation in NJ. So is there a separate file or paper i can file to keep our incomes separate until the divorce is finalized? We dont have any assets together. And want to file for an uncontested divorce to have our marriage disolved quickly.

1. There is no specific form you need to complete in order to keep your incomes separate when filing your Complaint for divorce. However you may be entitled to spousal support depending upon your needs and other factors. I would suggest you consult with an attorney to discuss this so you can better understand what you may be entitled to. Good Luck.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response is intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and is provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Responses are based solely upon New Jersey law.

2. Once the divorce process begins, you should file a pendente lite motion for spousal support. Pendente lite motions cover the issues that arise during the divorce itself. They are not final. Under the law, the status quo is to continue during the divorce as if you were still married. This prevents one spouse from vacuuming all of the bank accounts and disappearing. Typically, we file the divorce complaint along with a pendente lite motion at the same time. I also suggest speaking with an attorney as soon as possible.

To learn more about spousal support (alimony), please see the below article:
    http://www.weinbergerlawgroup.com/divorce-legal-separation/alimony-spousal-support/alimony-types-new-jersey.aspx

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

3. You need to file for support from him. There is no way to keep assets separate other than as you are doing now.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed