K - 1 Fiancée visa . Married , pregnant . Need a lawyer .

Asked about 2 years ago - Miami, FL

Hi , I came to Miami over three month ago with fiancée visa . It didn't work with the man who wrote petition and invited me here . However , there is a man who loves me , we got married in Las Vegas and I am either pregnant or will be very soon . He told me to search for immigration lawyer who can help with my documents without going back home . What are my options ? I am NOT going back home . How much time needed to prove that my current marriage is real and adjust the status ? Thank you in advance .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . When admitted on a K-1 fiancée visa you are admitted for the sole purpose of marrying the US citizen who petitioned you . Nothing else. Nobody else. If you didn't get married to him during your visa's validity period you are deportable. Period. No exceptions. The only exception, If applicable, is a claim of political asylum based on a "credible fear" of going back home, due to fear of persecution back home, on one of the enumerated grounds. Look them up. If any of those grounds apply to you, then you can apply for political asylum. Otherwise you have to go back home or risk being deported.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Behar, but also want to point out that you if 'overstay' your I-94 entry card by more than 180 days, then you will have unlawful presence issues. As a result, you can be barred for up to three, perhaps ten, years depending upon how long you have overstayed.

    The only option in those cases is to consider what is called the PUP Waiver, also known as the provisional unlawful presence waiver. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before you do anything. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Under these facts you are ineligible for adjust status in the U.S. since you enterd the U.S. on K-1 visa but did not marry the K-1 petitioner. You can only adjust status through marriage to a K-1 petitoner. The fact that you are married to another U.S. citizen does not change this fact. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for advice specific to your situatioin.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,529 answers this week

3,753 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,529 answers this week

3,753 attorneys answering