Juvielle or Adult? Son was 17 when crime occured but turned 18 before he was arrested for it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Johnstown, NY

He was 17 when he used the card the step mom didn't know who used it so she denied charges she had to sign statement with CC company and now it has been under investigation. The card was traced back to being used to put minutes on a cell phone which does not belong to my son but his girlfriend. The other charges were for google purchases which my son says are not his. not sure what else you would need to know.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Depending on his criminal history he may be eligible for youthful offender which would result in no criminal record. I suggest you hire a good criminal defense lawyer as the case may be defensible.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . Either way, he is an adult at 16 for these charges.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

3. Edwin Drantivy

1

Answered . Probably adult, but he could possibly obtain a Youthful Offender status.

4. Marco Caviglia

1

Answered . At 17, he is an adult for prosecution purposes. If the crime with which he is charged is a misdemeanor, then youthful offender adjudication for a first timer is mandatory. If it is a felony, then it is discretionary if convicted. Juvenile only applies for a person UNDER 16 years of age.