Skip to main content

Juvenile shoplifting?

Aurora, CO |

My son is really stupid for doing this. He went to Walmart shoplifted items worth under $15. He is 14 years old and this is his first offense. He will have to go to court. Will they let him off with a warning? What happens if he pleads guilty?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No, he will not be let off with a warning, but juvenile diversion is a likely outcome. This generally involves some community service in exchange for not pursuing the charge.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


Mr. Harkess is correct. It is too late for just a warning. However, diversion for a first offense for a juvenile is very common. That will likely include UPS (community service) hours, a letter of apology to Walmart, and possibly a promise not to return to that Walmart for a period of time.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


A warning? No. He may, however, be offered Diversion, as mentioned by my colleagues -- or he may be offered something called a deferred prosecution. That means he would have to comply with some certain terms and conditions over a certain time period and if he keeps his nose clean, he will see the case dismissed before he is ever forced to enter a plea.

Good luck to him and you. If this is the worst thing that happens over the teen years, things will be okay!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer