Juvenile shoplifting?

Asked over 1 year ago - Aurora, CO

My son is really stupid for doing this. He went to Walmart shoplifted items worth under $15. He is 14 years old and this is his first offense. He will have to go to court. Will they let him off with a warning? What happens if he pleads guilty?

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

4

Answered . No, he will not be let off with a warning, but juvenile diversion is a likely outcome. This generally involves some community service in exchange for not pursuing the charge.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . Mr. Harkess is correct. It is too late for just a warning. However, diversion for a first offense for a juvenile is very common. That will likely include UPS (community service) hours, a letter of apology to Walmart, and possibly a promise not to return to that Walmart for a period of time.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

Answered . A warning? No. He may, however, be offered Diversion, as mentioned by my colleagues -- or he may be offered something called a deferred prosecution. That means he would have to comply with some certain terms and conditions over a certain time period and if he keeps his nose clean, he will see the case dismissed before he is ever forced to enter a plea.

Good luck to him and you. If this is the worst thing that happens over the teen years, things will be okay!!