Juvenile Justice Reform in Georgia

Asked over 2 years ago - Augusta, GA

Can someone tell me about the Juvenile Justice Reform that may pass in 2013?Will this be retroactive?

1. Joshua G. Schiffer

Pro

2

Answered . The above anser is right on the money, as the changes in the code are fluid and we do not know exactly how they will be enacted. the Georgia bar Association has a working group on the issue and many of the members would probably be very happy to speak with you regarding your issue as the committee is comprised of some excellent lawyers I know well. They would also be a great source of advice as I suspect you have a very specific reason for asking your question. i will add that most code changes are not retroactive unless there is a specific factor that would make retroactivity a necessary function. If you have any questions I can sit you down with my partner who is a former ADA and has deep experience in Juvenile issues.

2. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . The information you can get online is as good as anything someone not on the committee making the recommendations can give you. Just know that whatever is being proposes may not make the final draft, and the bill may not even be passed. I am sure it will go through several alterations between now and next year, especially with this being an election year with the potential for many new or different members of the legislature. As to whether application will be retroactive, that is doubtful as it creates an administrative nightmare to go back an apply new rules to old cases.