Juvenile 2nd degree assault charge

Asked almost 6 years ago - Severna Park, MD

my 16 year old son was charged with second degree assault for punching another child once and running during lunch at school. The boys ear needed stitches due to where the punch landed. The boy he punched was horseplaying (according to school officials) with another student which appeared to actually be a fight. Later we were told they were improving... My son went over there a girl slapped the defendant and the defendant spit on her, then my son punched him...A action he has regretted since he was now expelled his senior year and has this criminal charge. We have the initial hearing tomorrow and my son states he wants to plead guilty and not use the public defender, is this wise? He is not a bad kid just made a very bad decision.

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Answered . A defendant (apparently your son in this case) generally has the ability to plea guilty until the moment right before a judge or a jury announces its verdict. (Since this is happening in juvenile court, it would be a judge.)

Your son likely should review the facts with his attorney before pleading guilty. After consulting with his attorney and thinking about the situation, your son will still have plenty of time to plea guilty if that is what he still wants to do.