Just went for my biometrics appointment on May 20, 2014. Can I travel inside the US while waiting for EAD?

Asked 6 months ago - Pharr, TX

Just applied for AOS. Im 36 years old unmarried son of US citizen (naturalized) went for biometrics on 5/20/14, I was told I could travel inside the US while waiting for my Employment Authorization Document. Currently live in the south of Texas, but want to go to San Antonio. I was told I Can I travel with the letter given to me at biometrics appointment since it had a bar code on the bottom and when scanned at checkpoint it will show all my information on the computer. Is this true?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

1

Answered . You can travel domestically with a valid government issued ID.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . You most certainly can, even in a State like Texas or Arizona.. To be safer and avoid any unnecessary hassles, just make sure to also carry some sort of government issued ID or passport on you, to be able to prove that you are in fact the individual mentioned on the appointment letter that has now been stamped by USCIS. Don't you also have the receipt of the I-485 on you? Better also take that one, as it is even more important than the biometrics receipt and shows you are pending adjustment of status.

3. Varsha M Kayi

1

1

Answered . Traveling within the U.S. is fine. You should keep receipts of your pending AOS application and any other documentation showing that you have permission to remain in the U.S. While you are away, make sure someone is checking your mail in case USCIS sends you information including a request for evidence. It is always best to consult an immigration attorney with these types of questions, particularly if you need to travel outside the U.S.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . I believe you are free to travel within the United States while awaiting further processing of your filed and pending AOS case, however, I suggest carrying the copies of all official USCIS correspondence with respect to your AOS case, biometrics letter et cetera. DO NOT LEAVE THE US TERRITORY.