Skip to main content

Just went for my biometrics appointment on May 20, 2014. Can I travel inside the US while waiting for EAD?

Pharr, TX |

Just applied for AOS. Im 36 years old unmarried son of US citizen (naturalized) went for biometrics on 5/20/14, I was told I could travel inside the US while waiting for my Employment Authorization Document. Currently live in the south of Texas, but want to go to San Antonio. I was told I Can I travel with the letter given to me at biometrics appointment since it had a bar code on the bottom and when scanned at checkpoint it will show all my information on the computer. Is this true?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You most certainly can, even in a State like Texas or Arizona.. To be safer and avoid any unnecessary hassles, just make sure to also carry some sort of government issued ID or passport on you, to be able to prove that you are in fact the individual mentioned on the appointment letter that has now been stamped by USCIS. Don't you also have the receipt of the I-485 on you? Better also take that one, as it is even more important than the biometrics receipt and shows you are pending adjustment of status.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. You can travel domestically with a valid government issued ID.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  3. Traveling within the U.S. is fine. You should keep receipts of your pending AOS application and any other documentation showing that you have permission to remain in the U.S. While you are away, make sure someone is checking your mail in case USCIS sends you information including a request for evidence. It is always best to consult an immigration attorney with these types of questions, particularly if you need to travel outside the U.S.

  4. I believe you are free to travel within the United States while awaiting further processing of your filed and pending AOS case, however, I suggest carrying the copies of all official USCIS correspondence with respect to your AOS case, biometrics letter et cetera. DO NOT LEAVE THE US TERRITORY.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois