Just got a summons personal service on natural person

Asked over 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

what does it mean? it has no court date . can they kick me out of my anytime ? i'm behind on my payments and i'm in foreclosure.

Additional information

I know that the papers are from my bank and that i'm being sued.the paper said i have 30 days to write a response if i want the court to hear my case. i just want to know if i write this or not can they kick me out anytime. i'm called a lawyer waiting for her to call me back.also what do i write?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Dennis Andrew Chen


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should contact an attorney for a short consultation to explain the documents to you. You are not guaranteed a hearing date when you are sued. Your failure to respond to the lawsuit could result in default and judgment against you without ever setting foot in court. Do not assume the lawsuit is regarding your foreclosure. It could be another creditor suing you. Have you considered bankruptcy? It may be an option depending on your situation.

    No attorney-client relationship is created by answering questions in this public forum. If you wish to create an... more
  2. Gavin Tudor Elliot

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . AS far as staying in your house, even if you did nothing, you would still have months. However, I do not recommend this course. You need to get a response out within the timeframe provided. If you do not do so, then you can waive all sorts of rights. There are many attorneys who will provide free consultations in this area of law. I would recommend that you speak to one immediately.
    Gavin Tudor Elliot, Esq.
    407 412 9223

    This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the The Elliot... more
  3. Paul Y. Lee

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like you have been sued. A lawsuit is commenced by a party filing and serving a summons and complaint. A summons and complaint will not necesarily contain a court date. I suggest that you show the document to a lawyer. You might be able to show it to a lawyer without retaining him or her. If you need to retain a lawyer but can't afford to finance a full blown litigation, perhaps you can engage a lawyer for specific tasks. Again, to start, have a lawyer explain the document to you. You may have limited time to respond to the summons and complaint before the opposing side takes steps to obtain a default judgment against you.

    This response is for information purpose only and does not constitute a legal advice. This response does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,459 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,459 answers this week

2,999 attorneys answering