Just got a DUI, already have an attorney, how can I stop the junk mail from law offices?!

Asked about 1 year ago - Fullerton, CA

I know that jobs, background checks, etc. can see my records and my DUI now, but how is it that my info (name, crime, and address) get posted up on some virtual "bulletin board" for the whole world to see?! I don't think that's right! How can I stop it? I'm getting 20 lawyer letters a day, and it seems like it's increasing! Is there any way to stop the junk mail from coming? Or maybe at least change the address they come to?!

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

23

Best Answer

Answered . That "jail mail" comes from attorneys that subscribe to services that comb arrest records. Those services sell the lists of people arrested so the attorneys can send those lovely letters you're getting. There have been case decisions dealing with jail mail... attorneys are allowed to do exactly what they're doing.

You've probably seen all sorts of flyers, coupons, etc. They probably range from local attorneys to large firms that will try to land business, then farm out the work to a local attorney.

Sorry - with any luck, they'll taper off and stop shortly. I can only assume that they're sent in a flood, hoping to get to you before you hire an attorney.

And no, you didn't get a single letter from my office.

2. Greg Thomas Hill

18

1

Answered . The jail mail will stop in a few days. An arrest is a public event. It is not confidential or protected from disclosure. Unfortunately, this is just the way it is in the United States and California.

There really is no way to stop it. You can't change the address that you gave to police when you were arrested to divert jail mail.

It will be over in a few days.

3. Joshua Kaizuka

17

1

Answered . Mr. Dane is correct. There is typically a flurry of jail mail that shows up from law offices within a few days after the date of arrest. The good news is that it will die off naturally within a week or so.

4. Kiarash Feyzjou

Pro

17

Answered . No way to stop it. Personally, I find it offensive and a violation of your privacy. In reality, the information that is made public should not be used to solicit advertisement. According to the statute, it is meant to be made public for scholarly and other similar purposes (for example, to identify for Channel 7 News how many DUI arrests occurred over the 4th of July Weekend). In any event, that's just our society.

5. James Melvin Taylor

12

Answered . The good news is that it will stop soon. At least you have some good reading material. Many of the pieces of advertisement do include some useful information on what to expect and what you should do regarding the DMV matter attached to a DUI case.

6. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

13

Answered . Be patient it will stop usually a week after the date of the arrest. Unfortunately your arrest records are public information and they get access to your address. Hang in there.

This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.
  7. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

11

Answered . It will stop soon enough - most likely within the next couple of days. There is really nothing you can do to stop them at this point. Try not to worry about this, and let you attorney handle your case. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen

8. Jared M Thompson

10

Answered . Unfortunately, there is not a way to stop the jail mail. Some attorneys pay services that search arrest and jail records to produce lists of individuals who have been arrested recently. These lists are then used to send out the type of mailers you have been receiving. Until there is a change in the law, the jail mail will continue. I know that many attorneys (myself included) would support a change that prohibited this type of adverstising. In many ways, jail mail is like sending cappers to hospital rooms to solicit personal injury clients, which is clearly illegal. You're frustration is shared by many and the mailers should cease in the next few day.

9. Jinny M. Campbell

9

Answered . You unfortunately cannot stop it or change the address. Attorneys pay to get arrest lists. The good news is that your arrest wasn't posted on a virtual bulletin board for all to see. The letters will die down eventually.