Just found out I have a warrant for VOP. Can I have my Violation of probation case transferred to another state?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I found out that I have warrant of arrest that was issued back in 2010 for violating my probation.
I was in Florida visiting when I committed 1st offense misdemeanor DUI. I was put on probation and was allowed to go back to Illinois where I live and go to school at that time. Because of my financial issues I have to move to California where a job was offered to me. Left few voice mails to my prob. officer but never got back me. Resided here in CA for 3yrs now.
I want to know if I can have my case transferred here in California and take care of my VOP.
I already hired a lawyer paid the entire amount for his services. However, it has been a little over a month and still no news from him for any developments.
Please help me I really want to get this over and take care of this mat

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Anthony David Scott

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would think that the attorney in Florida would be able to resolve the VOP (you may have make up whatever you failed to do that caused the VOP) and then the matter could be concluded. Most misdemeanor cases are resolved in the original jurisdiction at the conclusion of probation. Follow up with the attorney you hired. He/she should have explained the procedure and the possible issues. Good luck.

    Contributions to AVVO.com do not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Jasen Bodie Nielsen


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you've already hired an attorney to help clear this up, you definitely need to talk to them about all of your concerns. Transferring probation is not likely. The best bet is to try to have the warrant recalled and clear up whatever issue violated you in the first place. Call your attorney ASAP. Good luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  3. Seth Andrew Weinstein

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot transfer a Violation to California, but you can transfer Probation. It sounds like in Florida you were put on informal probation aka summary probation (aka informal probation). If you need a Florida criminal defense attorney, give me a call I can refer you to a colleague there.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  4. Brian Russell Michaels

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you hired and paid a lawyer that's who you should be asking. If you are not happy with the service find another lawyer.

    Brian Michaels
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Misdemeanor DUI

A misdemeanor DUI, which carries lesser penalties than a felony DUI, is the charge most people will be facing if they are arrested for DUI.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,478 answers this week

3,392 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,478 answers this week

3,392 attorneys answering