Just filed a petition for child support. How long till you get a court date?

Bellmore, NY |
Filed under: Child support

I just filed a petition for child support. I was wondering how long it takes to get a court date. when does my daughters father get the notice that i have filed? Will he get something in the mail or is it a subpoena,

1. When you get a court date depends on the court docket. He will be served by the clerk's office and when he gets served depends on when they place it in the mail. He will receive a summons to appear together with the petition.

2. If you were given the petition to serve the father, then the date to appear should be on the petition. The effective date for support will be retroactive to the filing date of the petition.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

3. If you filed in Nassau County it will take about 3 weeks to get the papers with your court date. The court will mail him a summons to come to court.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Child support topics