Jury duty questions

Chelmsford, MA |

My husband was recently selected to do jury duty and may last for weeks. His company policy is to pay the salary minus what the state pays him. His boss told him as salary employee, he's obligated to finish his work. Sounds like he has to work 8 hours after serve jury duty every day. Is this legal? This is creating a lot of stress to him and our family. We want him to say no, but are afraid he will lose his job. We need some legal advice. Thank you!

They don't actually have to pay him after three days, in most cases.

You may want to look at

The system isn't great for many jurors, and your husband may not have the rights that you think.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

The employer's expectation certainly seems inconsistent with good citizenship. We are all expected to give triennial jury service our full attention, as befits the solemn nature of our responsibility to help administer justice in our community. Firing your husband for prioritizing his jury service might fall within the narrow category of causes for termination that would be considered illegal, but understandably you don't want to be the test case for this scenario. Perhaps the ACLU can advise you or intercede with the employer to rethink its position. Their Boston office can be reached at 617-482-3170.

Disclaimer: This site exists to provide information only. It is not legal advice. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am a Massachusetts lawyer. Any information provided on this site does not, except as explicitly stated, imply familiarity with laws or procedures peculiar to your state which may differ from those where I practice.

Recommended articles about Employment