Jury

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Does a jury get informed if the defendant has been held in custody and how long for and if so ,could this mean the jury could feel the defendant has already learn t their lesson etc as they have been held in custody.

1. Jonathan Brian Manley

Pro

5

1

Answered . A jury's role is to determine the facts of a case, whether an individual is not guilty or guilty of a crime. The jury is not made aware of whether a defendant is in custody because sympathy and sentencing are not supposed to play a role in their decision making.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . The jury does not get this information.

3. Michael Lewis Marley

Pro

3

1

Answered . It's always seemed curious to me but...lawyers are not to supposed to mention that someone is custody or for how long the person has been locked up. Jurors don't play the sentencing game. Guess they figure a guilty sentence will not earn defendat a trip to Disneyland but...Also, canny jurors see court officers hovering a defendant and they know it's not because the officers are afraid the defense attorney may act out physically...
    I think jurors should play a part in sentencing but they really don't other than voting guilty or not guilty...Als there are times when past convictions come into play...

Law Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

4. John J. Carney

Pro

3

Answered . A criminal lawyer can put him on the stand to say his residence is Riker's Island, but not more. The judge will not allow sympathy to enter into the verdict.

5. Joshua Sachs

3

Answered . It would be a most exceptional case where a jury would hear information about a defendant's custodial status and never, so far as I can imagine, for the purpose that you have in mind.