Jurisdiction - ESSEX County NJ - filing malicious prosecution

Asked over 1 year ago - Edison, NJ

If a case is dismissed against you in the municipal court stemming from a criminal case - Newark NJ, where do you file malicious prosecution against the other party? Special Civil court? or does it need to be in the same court it was dismissed from?
Are there any rules/statues I should be aware of before filing? The amount is for a little over $3,000.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mark M Cheser

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The criminal charges of false information or false report can be filed in the same town. Or you can sue for damages in special civil part in the County. I assume this was a civilian complaint. It is very difficult to bring such charges against the police.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,833 answers this week

2,942 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,833 answers this week

2,942 attorneys answering