Junk debt buyer asking to mail him a $2000 check as a settlement

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I just received a letter in the mail from a junk debt buyer on an old credit card I had back in 2007 offering a $2000 settlement ! and it says too : unless you notify this office in writing within 30 days that you dispute the validity of this debt,we will assume the debt is valid and they will obtain verification of the debt and mail me a copy (name and address of the original creditor )...should I write them back to dispute it even though I owe the original bank money ? there is no physical address,just P.O.Box? and what should I request for ?

1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

4

Answered . If it was from 2007 the statute of limitation in CA has passed. They cannot sue you but you cannot dispute that you do not owe it if you do. You can asset the statute of limitations defense and ask that they not contact you anymore.

2. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

3

Answered . contact a local debt collection lawyer regarding this case. They may be trying to get you to pay on a debt which they may legally not be entitled to collect.

3. Daniel A. Edelman

Pro

2

Answered . Do not assume that junk debt buyers claiming to own old debts actually own them. In many cases, they do not. Debt buyers can rarely prove anything regarding claimed debts, including their ownership of them, your liability, or the amount.

If the debt is out of statute, you should direct them not to contact you further. Have an attorney review the letter you got; attempting to collect out of statute debts without disclosure of that fact may be an Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violation.

If the debt is within statute, send a letter asking for proof that the debt buyer owns the debt. I doubt if you will get anything back. Then, if they do sue you, you have a defense -- under the Uniform Commercial Code you are entitled to reasonable proof (such as a copy of an assignment referring to the particular account) that the assignee debt buyer owns the debt.

4. Philip Anthony Fabiano

1

Answered . The statute of limitations has run, They cannot file a lawsuit to enforce/compel payment of this debt.
    Tell them so.