Skip to main content

Junior Judgement to Foreclosure

Minneapolis, MN |

I took a lady to small claims court and put a judgement against her. I received a letter that her house is in foreclosure and it lists the Plaintiff (Plaintiff) myself with a couple other names (Defendants) on the sumons. When the house gets sold and the debt of the house is paid, if there is any money I will get paid right? Can I do anything to secure I get my money or is this a loosing battle for me?

Attorney Answers 2


In theory, yes, if there is anything left over from the sale you will be paid. Unfortunately in nearly all foreclosure sales now there is nothing left to go around and, in fact, the foreclosing lender typically ends up receiving much less than it is owed.

If you really want to collect on your judgment you will be better served to hire a collection attorney to collect the judgment using other means such as garnishment of accounts or wages. Be prepared to spend some money on your attorney in collecting the debt. Best of luck.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information contained on this website presents general information about our firm and is not provided as legal advice and should not be used as legal advice. Before acting on any of the materials presented on this website, you should consult with an attorney regarding your own unique situation. Using this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between the user and Law Offices of Stephen Orchard and you.

Mark as helpful


I agree with Attorney Orchard that it is unlikely that you will be paid out of the foreclosure sale proceeds and that other collection tactics would be much more likely to succeed.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics