Judicial Recusal

Fairfield, CA |

Can a Judge hear a matter where the petitioner is an attorney who not only belongs to the same county bar as the judge, but appears in front of this judge at least once a week for the past 15+ years. Was the judge required to recuse himself?

1. Nothing in he facts you have summarized here requires recusal by the court. In fact, nothing in these facts suggests any improper or irregular conduct by either the attorney or the court. These facts will be routine, ordinary and expected in many jurisdictions.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

2. Recusal is an extraordinary remedy. More facts would be required to even begin to analyze. To see how difficult recusal is, use your favorite search engine for info on the currently ongoing trial of accused gangster James "Whitey" Bulger, just commencing in U.S. District Court in Boston. Defense attorneys sought recusal of the first judge, who had been a prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office in the 1980s, when the Boston office of the F.B.I. is known to have been protecting Whitey. The judge refused to step down and was only removed when the issue was taken to the court of appeals. Not an easy thing to do.

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

3. Also relevant to your inquiry is whether you filed a statement of disqualification. Once you became aware of these facts, you were required to attempt to disqualify the judge if you believed that he should not have heard the case. While you probably would not have won that issue, your failure to raise the subject amounts to a waiver of the problem.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.