Skip to main content

Judgement was vacated in landlord tenat in 06,with a stip. Paid stip Moved in 09,.Judgement never restored. On my credit rept

New York, NY |

How can I have it removed from my credit report?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If the stipulation specifies that the judgment was paid and vacated you should forward a copy (preferably certified) of that stipulation directly to the credit reporting agency. If the stipulation does not specify that the judgment has been paid, you should contact the attorney for the landlord and request a document called a "Satisfaction of Judgment." If the landlord's attorney fails to provide you with a copy of the Satisfaction of Judgment you may have to bring an order to show cause in Housing Court to restore the case to the calendar to obtain one.


Get a certified copy of the vacate order and proof of the paid stipulation and forward same to the credit agency. You can also ask the attorney that represented you, or the landlords' attorney for a satisfaction of the judgment and have it recorded.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.


Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act negative information that is more than 7 years old cannot be reported on your credit report--it becomes obsolete. You can write to the credit bureaus demanding corrected reports on that basis alone if the 7 years has passed. If the judgment was actually vacated, you want to send a certified copy to the 3 credit bureaus demanding that it be removed as it is inaccurate information (there's no longer a judgment). If they refuse to remove the item, you may have a good FCRA lawsuit on your hands. As an additional note, getting judgments vacated is much better than getting them "satisfied." A satisfaction of judgment can still be reported on your credit report for 7 years (a vacated judgment cannot).

Send your dispute letters to the following 3 bureaus:
Equifax: P.O. Box 740256 / Atlanta, GA 30374
Experian: 701 Experian Parkway / Allen, TX 75013
TransUnion: P.O. Box 2000 / Chester, PA 19022

Good luck!

The responses, information and materials on this Web site are provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. We attempt to provide quality information, but the law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided is general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance. An attorney and client relationship should not be implied. Nothing on this Web site or in my response is intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, therefore if you require legal advice please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer