Joint sponsor for affidavit financial support i-864

San Francisco, CA |

My husband is filing the financial support for me together with i-130. He doesn't have proof of income for 2013 nor tax returns for 2012 (he took a break from work). So he does not meet the minimal requirements. However, I have savings and assets enough to compensate for the "5 times the gap" rule in the instructions. Do we still need a joint sponsor or my assets will help him qualify?

May be you want to start with reading instructions to form I-864.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek independent and private counseling for a complete review of your case.

Your joint incomes and assets may qualify, but it would be best to have an immigration attorney review the I-864 and your financial evidence. And if your husband is now working, he could present his current paycheck stub, assuming it has year to date earnings.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

It is not reasonable to expect us to answer this question without having reviewed the record as a whole. With all due respect, your assurance that it is so, does not make it so.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Recommended articles about Immigration