Skip to main content

Joint Legal Custody - What are the legal requirements regarding medical/dental disclosure to each parent?

San Bernardino, CA |

Daughter was recently taken to dentist and her orthodontist recommended she get braces. I informed her mother but she is refusing to pay for half because she doesn't think my daughter needs braces (trying to work this out still, but seems impossible). She is now requesting my daughters health insurance information but I have already provided her with a copy of the medical/dental insurance cards. Am I required to provide anything else besides the health insurance cards? I don't want to fail to provide something I am supposed to. I have joint legal and physical custody. My daughter splits time 50/50 between her mom and me. Additionally I have support order in which I pay my daughters mom.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


As far as what you have described, you have provided the mother with all necessary health insurance information when you provided her with the insurance card. You are not obligated to give her specific details about your plan, merely cooperate with the coverage so your daughter gets treatment.
Until she can be more specific with how you are not following a specific court order in your Judgment, and I would ignore her. It sounds like you are doing everything correctly.
To be certain that you are following every order, you should consult with your local Family Law Specialist who can review your actual orders and give you the best advice possible.
Good Luck!


I agree with Ms. Fountain. Additionally, the law requires her to reimburse you for one-half of medical expenses. Take your daughter to the dentist, pay for it, and then within 30 days send her a bill showing the expense that you paid and request that she reimburse you. She will have 30 days within which to do so. If she doesn't, you can take her to court for reimbursement.

I can be reached at 714-442-1522 if you have further questions. Before accepting any answer as a final answer, you should have your case reviewed by an attorney. No attorney on Avvo has read your paperwork and therefore cannot give a completely valid answer suited to your case.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer