Skip to main content

Join the military

Long Beach, CA |
Filed under: Military law

Is it possible to join the marines with a suspended sentences or on probation?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. The likely answer is no.
    1. You will have to get permission from your probation officer if on probation, to leave the state.
    2. You have a conviction, so that in itself is likely to be a bar.
    3. You are still serving your sentence and the Marines don't want someone who might get arrested and dragged back to CA after putting the time, effort, and money into training.

    Right now the military is undergoing a steep personnel downsizing. That means they are being much more picky about the people they accept. Because of the economy there is a larger pool of applicants, so they have more to choose from.

    I doubt the Army would accept you for the same reasons as above.

  2. Concur with Attorney Cave.

    Recommend you sit down with a recuriter in your locale, and let him/her describe the battle-space and what you'd have to do to qualify for enlistment. However, I would estimate an enlistment on the circumstances you describe as 0%.--But its been 20 years since I was a recruiter--go see yours and make sure.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Military law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics