Job search with felony conviction

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Collins, CO

how can a person with felony conviction over 7 years old find a good job (or any job for that matter)? you can't support a family flipping burgers and digging ditches.

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . This is not really a legal question. You need some luck. Period. The market is flooded with applicants who have had no legal run-ins and that is your competition.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Deasy. I understand and feel sorry for your predicament. Even people without felonies or any criminal record are having trouble finding jobs in this market. Even the market for attorneys is saturated so that brand new attorneys can not find jobs. Best of luck

3. Tyson B. Snow

2

Answered . Let me add that federal law does not limit the amount of time that a background check may include a conviction. In other words, there is no federal law that prevents background reports from including criminal convictions indefinitely. Additionally, there is no federal law that prevents employers from considering prior convictions, regardless of when they occurred, in making hiring decisions.

Some states have enacted legislation that provides greater protection for applicants. I would suggest contacting the Colorado Civil Rights Division to see what type of protections are available to you:

Colorado Civil Rights Division
    1560 Broadway Suite 1050
    Denver, CO 80202
    303-894-2997
    800-262-4845 in state
    www.dora.state.co.us/civil-rights

Additionally, you may consider trying to get your conviction expunged. I am not sure what Colorado's expungement statute allows and/or requires but expungement is probably the best way to get criminal convictions off of public records.

Unfortunately, you are in a difficult situation. Finding jobs in almost any industry is extremely challenging right now. Keep hunting for a job and hopefully you will find something that provides for your needs.

I hope this is helpful.

-Tyson-
    http://www.padrm.com
    htttp://www.socialmediaesq.com