Skip to main content

Job lost after I-485 filed ...

Mesquite, TX |

My I140 has been approved since 2008 under EB3. My priority date (february 2008) is current and I I have recently filed i485 on June 2nd, 2013 on my own. I just learned that my company is laying off 4 employees including me by end of this month. What are my options ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can get another job with another H-1B or wait for the EAD. Then you will need to have the new company start a labor certiifcation and I-140 BUT GOOD NEWS you can recapture the Priority Date from the already approved I-140 and interfile the new I-140 in the pending I-485.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


You might be out of luck since you can only port after your I485 has been pending for 6 months.


Ms. Feldman is quite correct. This portability business is a strage legal creature. When your PERM is pending you cannot recapture priority date if you change employer and new PERM is filed. SAme applies to an I-140 when it is pending. Once approved, the pendulum moves in your favor. Now, you can refile the PERM and then the I-140 and reuse the priority date from the old approved one. Once I-485 has been pending for six months or longer you can change your employment to the same or similar position with another employer and do not need a new I-140 or PERM. Go figure.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer