Job lost after I-485 filed ...

Mesquite, TX |

My I140 has been approved since 2008 under EB3. My priority date (february 2008) is current and I I have recently filed i485 on June 2nd, 2013 on my own. I just learned that my company is laying off 4 employees including me by end of this month. What are my options ?

You can get another job with another H-1B or wait for the EAD. Then you will need to have the new company start a labor certiifcation and I-140 BUT GOOD NEWS you can recapture the Priority Date from the already approved I-140 and interfile the new I-140 in the pending I-485.

--
Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277
website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

You might be out of luck since you can only port after your I485 has been pending for 6 months.

Ms. Feldman is quite correct. This portability business is a strage legal creature. When your PERM is pending you cannot recapture priority date if you change employer and new PERM is filed. SAme applies to an I-140 when it is pending. Once approved, the pendulum moves in your favor. Now, you can refile the PERM and then the I-140 and reuse the priority date from the old approved one. Once I-485 has been pending for six months or longer you can change your employment to the same or similar position with another employer and do not need a new I-140 or PERM. Go figure.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Recommended articles about Immigration