Job application asks-Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor not including traffic violations-do I report DUI?

Grand Rapids, MI |

Applying for job and application asks - Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor not including traffic violations. Do I report a DUI misdemeanor traffic violation from 15 years ago? I paid for and ran a criminal history check at our State police website and nothing showed up on report. I want to be honest on my application, however I would like to avoid this embarrasing information if not required. I do not want to falsify application because this would be grounds for discharge - please advise. Thank you

1. If you would like to be honest on your application then i would suggest disclosing the misdemeanor, as it is a crime... and is misdemeanor.

2. A DUI is a misdemeanor, not a traffic violation. (A traffic violation is like speeding or driving without your headlights on, etc. A violation for which you would NOT face jailtime.) You must disclose the DUI if the question is worded as you indicate.

If you do not disclose the DUI, you could be discharged, which you obviously want to avoid.

Also, if the application includes a statement that the application is truthful to the best of your knowledge and you sign that statement without disclosing the DUI, you could be charged with perjury.

My guess is the employer would be more offended if the employer discovered you lied to them than they will be about a 15-year old DUI.

Good luck!

DUI topics