Jersey City Landlord not returning Security Deposit.

Asked over 1 year ago - Jersey City, NJ

Landlord is not returning the security depost which he owes to me. He is claiming that I have broken things and he is not returning the security deposit. When he gave me the apartment he gave it without cleaning and directly from another tenant. I had to take it because my wife was pregnant and that was the only apartment available at that time and we wanted that for easy access to go downstairs in case of emergency. I had to vacate the apartment as I had to leave the country due to my work visa expiry and it was the same week when Hurricane Sandy happend so I informed the landlord that I cannot remove the four furniture items as none of the elevators were not working and he agreed he will take care. I am out of the country now cannot defend myself in small claims court.

1. Lawrence Charles Kroll

Pro

2

Answered . The New Jersey Rent Security Deposit Act REQUIRES that a Landlord either return your deposit or provide an itemized list of the deductions from the security within 30 days after the end of the tenancy. If the Landlord fails to do so, the law says you are entitled to double damages (your damages are the amount wrongfully withheld) plus the possibility of attorney's fees. Unfortunately, whether you are suing the landlord, or he is suing you, either you or your attorney must appear in Court.

2. Matthew R Schutz

Answered . I agree with counsel.

3. Sandra A Joseph

Answered . Did you give the LL a forwarding address? Did the LL give a written notice as to what was deducted? He may have agreed to take the stuff out but at what cost?