Jail Time for Embezzlement?

Washington, DC |

A friend of mine got caught embezzling almost $100,000. She even hit me up for money, but turns out she was using cocaine. She got fired and the company is now prosecuting her. She has a past of theft. However, much of those charges were expunged late last year. Is she considered to have a clean record now that it's expunged? What's the liklihood of jail time. She doesnt want to go to jail (who does), but I wondered if the courts would see the expungement. Also, the shoplifting occurred in 2009 (I believe) and she cant get that expunged cause it hasnt been long enough.

Embezzling that much money from an employer is looked upon much more seriously than simple theft, because it involves a breach or trust (an employee is in a unique position to damage an employer because they are entrusted with access to the employer's accounts, etc.). In addition, that much cash stolen never goes unpunished. With or without a prior record, your friend is facing jail. Her cocaine addiction may explain why she embezzled (not so much for personal gain but to feed an out-of-control addiction she couldn't handle), but it will only help in mitigation of sentence. She had better be in long-term rehab, off all illegal substances, and be employed with a repayment plan to her employer before she gets to trial, if she wants any chance to reduce or avoid straight jail time. It goes without saying that she needs a good criminal defense lawyer. ASAP.