Skip to main content

J1 Work&Travel Program - Transfer to tourist B-2 visa after end of the program

New York, NY |


I am currently in the USA on J1 visa (Work&Travel program). I can legally stay in the USA until October 30th. Visa lasts until September 30th and grace period until October 30th. I don't have a 2 year home residency requirement on my J1 visa.

What improves my chances to get tourist visa approved? Do I need to send all the papers before September 30th or I can also send them while I am on grace period.

Thank you all.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


How do you improve your chance of approval.

Submit a great letter, and supporting documents, to prove that you will go home after your TEMPORARY tourist visit in the US.

Documents from back home? Job offer, school will be resuming, home you own/rent, family demands ... etc.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You can file the change of status application at any time. Must prove will be able to financially support yourself while here temporarily and of your intention to return to a waiting job in your country. Need to get an employment confirmation letter from abroad a d attach it as proof, as well as a plane ticket with a date certain departure.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You have to show intent to depart. There are many ways of showing this. Not all will apply to you as every case is different.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.


I would say work with an experienced immigration attorney in NYC.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer