J1 visa expired on the 15thSept and now I'm on my travel only 30 days grace period. Can I apply for a 6 moth tourist visa ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Edgartown, MA

Hi everyone!
My name is Cristian, I'm from Romania.
My J1 visa expired on the 15th Sept and now I'm on my travel only 30 days grace period. Can I apply for a 6 month tourist visa extension in this situation ?
Thank you !

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Yes before the period has expired and provided you have a valid reason for that.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . Yes, but you will need to provide a strong reason why you need to remain in the US beyond the 30 days.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . Sure ... you can try.

But, you'd better have good reasons and provide great evidence of your strong ties to Romania... ties that are strong enough to 'make' you go back.