J1 visa expired on the 15thSept and now I'm on my travel only 30 days grace period. Can I apply for a 6 moth tourist visa ?

Edgartown, MA |

Hi everyone!
My name is Cristian, I'm from Romania.
My J1 visa expired on the 15th Sept and now I'm on my travel only 30 days grace period. Can I apply for a 6 month tourist visa extension in this situation ?
Thank you !

1. Yes before the period has expired and provided you have a valid reason for that.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

2. Yes, but you will need to provide a strong reason why you need to remain in the US beyond the 30 days.

The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. Legal advice cannot be provided through a forum such as this. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. Sure ... you can try.

But, you'd better have good reasons and provide great evidence of your strong ties to Romania... ties that are strong enough to 'make' you go back.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.