J1 Visa 30 day stay policy

Columbus, OH |

I am travelling on J1 visa to US as a international exchange student. My J1 program and J1 visa ends on 19-Jun-2014. I have my return tickets booked for 20-Jun-2014. Since my visa expires on 19th and my travel is on 20th, will my stay be unauthorized for 20th?
http://j1visa.state.gov/basics/common-questions/ - states that a grace period of 30 days is given to leave the US. Will this be applicable in my case?

1. You can stay in the U.S. for up to 30 days after completion of your program as per the DS-2019. There is no violation of your status as long as you are not employed during the grace period.

2. You should be OK.

The visa in your passport isn't important ... the DS-2019 controls.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

3. 30 days after. The visa is not controlling. You may not be employed during the 30 days.

4. That’s fine. Yes, no status on the 20th but that’s fine due to the grace period. Won’t raise any red flags on future applications.

JP Sarmiento
    Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
    (216) 573-3712
    jp@sarmientoimmigration.com
    www.sarmientoimmigration.com