J-2 visa and divorce

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I am currently in a relationship with an Indian physician who had an arranged marriage a few months ago in India. He and she both agreed this would not be permanent but decided to please there family. They both reside in US as resident physicians in different states. The problem is my boyfriend will finish residency at the end of june and his j-1 visa will expire. He could not find a job before the conrad waiver deadline and he did not get into a fellowship so his j-1 will no longer be applicable because he will not be in residency. He is now forced to either leave the country for two years or move to his wifes state and work at a hospital that is sponsoring him under a j-2 visa. My question is if they file for divorce now, will he be able to apply for some sort of waiver to stay in the US or will he have to complete the two-year home-country physical presence requirement?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . If he gets a divorce, he can still apply for a J waiver. There are hundreds of unfilled Conrad 30 slots.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . To stay in the US, he must have the means to do so. A divorce does not provide those means. He will also have to either meet the 2 year foreign residency requirement or obtain a waiver if he is subject to that requirement.

3. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

1

Answered . He will likely have to leave the country because be would not qualify as a dependent without a wife.