J-2 pending, can I cancel it and apply for my own J-1?

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I was working with J-1 status, then laid off, so I applied for an AOS to J-2 through my spouse, so I could legally stay in the country and pursue interviews etc. My J-2 is pending and a job opportunity came up, they 'll sposnsor my J-1. What is the procedure ? Should I cancel my J-2 application ? And then go back to my country to issue my own J-1 at the embassy ? Would that be a problem in any way ?

Can I apply for an AOS for J-1 here in the US or need to go through the embassy? If I apply here, how much would it take for an AOS?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

13

Answered . SInce 2019 is needed for J1, you first need to find a sponsor. No need to cancel anything.

2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

9

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You need another sponsor and a new application.

3. Stephen D. Berman

8

Answered . You can file another application for change of status to J1.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

7

Answered . You may apply, as permitted to any legitimate COS as a J-1 Applicant without cancelling anything.