J-1 waiver pending and potential H1B case

Asked 6 months ago - San Jose, CA

I am under the process of a J1-visa waiver. Without J1-waiver, am I not able to apply for an H1B visa for this years cap? I actually learned I needed the waiver pretty late (only a few months ago so late noevemer was when the application for the wavier was submitted and it takes 3-5 months).

If the waiver process is complete by APril 1, I know it's ok to then apply for H1B, but what if it isn't? Will USCIS accept the petition if the waiver process is still pending? SHould I just hope that the waiver is approved before the first week of April?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

17

Answered . A good option would be to have your potential employer file an H-1B petition without requesting a change of status on April 1. Therefore, assuming your J waiver is approved between April and October, you could leave the U.S. and obtain your H-1B visa abroad.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Yep. No waiver - no change of status. This is absolutely correct.

3. Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

Pro

2

Answered . In order to change status from that of a J-1 visa holder, without going home for 2 years, one must apply and receive a waiver.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . I concur with my esteemed colleagues that the J-1 successful grant of the Waiver is an absolute necessity to proceed with any stated options above.

5. Akhilesh Krishna

1

Answered . Yes you definitely need a waiver. You can apply for the H1B, however, it would be speculative to give you an answer on chances of H1B approval while pending J-1 waiver, without knowing the prospects of your waiver approval

If you don't have an immigration attorney, you should immediately contact one.

http://www.,myh1bgc.com