J-1 Internship to H1B with the same employer (J-1 expires in March)

Asked over 1 year ago - Bellevue, WA

Hello. I hold J-1 Internship visa now and work in IT. My program finish in March 2014. The company i work for is willing to sponsor H1B petition for me, which can be filled in April 2014 the earliest (as i know). Is there a way for me to stay in US and work until i have my H1B visa approved (hopefully)? Thanks

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . First look into whether you are HRR subject. If you are, you cannot change status. Second, you should really talk to an immigration attorney about that not post on AVVO. Why? It is impossible to answer your question without knowing all the facts. I would hate to give you an advice which would turn to be wrong because there was an obscure detail I did not know about.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . Your employer may be able to file for an extension of your J-1 visa or if that were not possible file for an H-3 Training Visa on your behalf. Need to work with a local immigration lawyer on the H-3, as those are not simple to put together and not every immigration attorney is capable, unless has experience with H-3s.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . It depends on whether your program can be extended and whether you are subject to the two year foreign residency requirement.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

4. Anu Gupta

Pro

Answered . Hi- It depends on the circumstances. If the home residency does not apply, you may be able to extend the J1, apply for a B1 or may have other options available to you. You should schedule a time to speak with an attorney who can review your case and advice.