J-1 hardship waiver

Asked almost 3 years ago - Washington, DC

I would like to apply for j-1 waiver based on hardship. I have extremely overstayed my visa, 6 years to be precise. i am married to US citizen for 6 years, and have 2 children. The reason for hardship is because my son was diagnosed with autism, and i feel he will suffer psychologically if i am separated from him and if he comes with me , he would not be able to get proper care in my country. is this a good reason for this waiver?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

    Please see

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Armen Michael Tashjian


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you got married to a USC 6 yrs ago, why in the world you didn't apply when you were in status? Now, you have to make a decision to either live 'under ground' or apply and roll the 'removal' dice.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,024 answers this week

2,580 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,024 answers this week

2,580 attorneys answering