Iwould like to know I married a us citizen, he filed for me and we missed my appointment they sent me a deportation letter.

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Six months ago. So we were planning to re file he has become abusive and even move out on me. Do I have to divorce him and return to my country.

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at http://www.shautsova.com .

2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

7

Answered . No, you do not have to divorce, but you may want to consider it in the near future. You may soon be able to file a VAWA Petition. Contact a competent and experienced immigration attorney. This petition and adjustment may allow you to stay.

However, more information is needed. What sort of deportation letter? If it simply warns you that you cannot stay, since the adjustment is denied, then the letter is a general warning. The fact that you may apply for VAWA Relief when it is approved and extended by Congress creates another way to file for adjustment, where you are eligible.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

7

Answered . I agree with my colleague; I would add you have to show at a minimum "extreme cruelty" as well as several other factors. You must have good moral character, must have resided with your spouse, and if you get divorced you can only qualify if you file before 2 years after the divorce becomes final. If by "deportation letter" you mean a notice to appear in immigration court, then you can raise the issue before the Immigration Judge and you would also have to first file a self-petition with USCIS. Consult a good immigration attorney immediately who handles such matters, especially if you are in proceedings before the Immigration Court. If you already have a removal order, the issue could be raised either through a motion to reopen or possibly motion to remand, your attorney will discuss with you.

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . Absolutely not. You are lucky to be a woman in the US (and not a man in the same circumstance.)

As my esteemed colleague already mentioned, you will be able to soon obtain your green card based on the "Violence Against Women Act" also known by its popular acronym of "VAWA".

Seek a consultation immediately with a competent and experienced immigration lawyer in your area who will analyze your circumstances and come up with the best plan of action for preparing the VAWA case, after which you should obtain a green card without anyone's help or sponsorship, on the strength of the abuse you suffered..

Start by putting down into a personal diary everything you went through with your estranged husband, The sooner the better, for later you will have forgotten some very important details otherwise. Do it while your memory is still relatively fresh!